Yaya Toure scores stunner as Manchester City sweep past Viktoria Plzen
Plzen (Czech Republic): Manchester City demonstrated their Champions League intent this season by crushing Viktoria Plzen 3-0 in their opening Group D game on Tuesday.
Edin Dzeko, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero scored in a 10-minute period early in the second half against the Czech champions.
Dzeko put the English side ahead in the 48th minute, slotting home under keeper Matus Kozacik after Aguero`s pass.
Five minutes later Ivorian midfielder Toure produced the moment of the match, cutting inside and unleashing a magnificent swerving shot from 30 metres that flew into the net.
Aguero added the third with a left-footed shot from the edge of the area.
Despite their domestic success and huge financial outlay on transfers, City have struggled in the Champions League, and manager Manuel Pellegrini is under pressure to improve on the European record of predecessor Roberto Mancini.
This - City`s first win in seven Champions League games - was the perfect start to their latest campaign.
City keeper Joe Hart was called into action in the 21st minute, but once City settled down, Plzen - who had come through three qualifying playoff ties to reach the group stages - couldn`t cope with the visitors` firepower.
"In the first half we had three clear chances to score and we didn`t," Pellegrini told reporters.
"In the second half it was very important to create space against a team playing with 10 players behind the ball. We finished what we started in the first half."
Pellegrini said the victory would give his team confidence for Sunday`s Premier League derby against Manchester United, and they were boosted further by the return from injury of captain Vincent Kompany.
"It was a very important game to win and that is why we played the way we played," Pellegrini said. "Starting (against a) team playing at home is difficult."
He added that David Silva might be ready for the Manchester derby and that a knock Aguero picked up late in the second half was nothing serious.
Plzen manager Pavel Vrba said his side paid the price for too many mistakes.
"The result showed it all," Vrba said. "In the first half we were lucky to draw nil-nil. They are one of the top sides in Europe."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in