Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years
Tokyo: Alberto Zaccheroni, head coach of the Japanese football team, has been given a contract extension for two more years, said the country`s football association Saturday.
Zaccheroni`s contract extension means the 59-year-old will lead the reigning Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Zaccheroni`s deal, however, could be shortened if Japan failed to qualify for the World Cup. The Asian qualifying tournament wraps up in June 2013.
Taking charge of the national side on a two-year contract in August 2010, the Italian guided Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup title in Qatar last year before making the third round of World Cup qualifications, reports said.
Japan now have seven points after three games in Group B, beating Oman 3-0, Jordan 6-0 and tying Australia 1-1 this month in the final round of qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'