Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years
Tokyo: Alberto Zaccheroni, head coach of the Japanese football team, has been given a contract extension for two more years, said the country`s football association Saturday.
Zaccheroni`s contract extension means the 59-year-old will lead the reigning Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Zaccheroni`s deal, however, could be shortened if Japan failed to qualify for the World Cup. The Asian qualifying tournament wraps up in June 2013.
Taking charge of the national side on a two-year contract in August 2010, the Italian guided Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup title in Qatar last year before making the third round of World Cup qualifications, reports said.
Japan now have seven points after three games in Group B, beating Oman 3-0, Jordan 6-0 and tying Australia 1-1 this month in the final round of qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued