Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years
Tokyo: Alberto Zaccheroni, head coach of the Japanese football team, has been given a contract extension for two more years, said the country`s football association Saturday.
Zaccheroni`s contract extension means the 59-year-old will lead the reigning Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Zaccheroni`s deal, however, could be shortened if Japan failed to qualify for the World Cup. The Asian qualifying tournament wraps up in June 2013.
Taking charge of the national side on a two-year contract in August 2010, the Italian guided Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup title in Qatar last year before making the third round of World Cup qualifications, reports said.
Japan now have seven points after three games in Group B, beating Oman 3-0, Jordan 6-0 and tying Australia 1-1 this month in the final round of qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Now, AAP demands 'dope test' on parliamentarians
- 7th Pay Commission Notification: 10 key facts you must know
- Hrithik Roshan never takes his work for granted: Yami Gautam
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt notifies revised pay grades for employees, pensioners
- Sensex slips from 11-month high ahead of Fed, BoJ meets