Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years
Tokyo: Alberto Zaccheroni, head coach of the Japanese football team, has been given a contract extension for two more years, said the country`s football association Saturday.
Zaccheroni`s contract extension means the 59-year-old will lead the reigning Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Zaccheroni`s deal, however, could be shortened if Japan failed to qualify for the World Cup. The Asian qualifying tournament wraps up in June 2013.
Taking charge of the national side on a two-year contract in August 2010, the Italian guided Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup title in Qatar last year before making the third round of World Cup qualifications, reports said.
Japan now have seven points after three games in Group B, beating Oman 3-0, Jordan 6-0 and tying Australia 1-1 this month in the final round of qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months