Zaccheroni to stay with Japan for two more years
Tokyo: Alberto Zaccheroni, head coach of the Japanese football team, has been given a contract extension for two more years, said the country`s football association Saturday.
Zaccheroni`s contract extension means the 59-year-old will lead the reigning Asian champions through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
Zaccheroni`s deal, however, could be shortened if Japan failed to qualify for the World Cup. The Asian qualifying tournament wraps up in June 2013.
Taking charge of the national side on a two-year contract in August 2010, the Italian guided Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup title in Qatar last year before making the third round of World Cup qualifications, reports said.
Japan now have seven points after three games in Group B, beating Oman 3-0, Jordan 6-0 and tying Australia 1-1 this month in the final round of qualifiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat