Zenit-Anzhi play 1-1 draw in empty St. Petersburg stadium
St. Petersburg: Defending Russian Premier League champions Zenit St. Petersburg played out a 1-1 draw at home with Dagestani football club Anzhi Makhachkala.
After conceding a soft first-half goal via a Joo Carlos header, Zenit replied in the 66th minute through Konstantin Zyryanov. Neither side was able to convert its chances in the dying minutes of the game, Xinhua reports.
The result leaves Anzhi in second and Zenit in third place behind league leaders CSKA Moscow.
This was the second of two home games which Zenit were forced to play in an empty stadium after the Russian Football Union penalised the club for fan violence in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family