Zenit-Anzhi play 1-1 draw in empty St. Petersburg stadium
St. Petersburg: Defending Russian Premier League champions Zenit St. Petersburg played out a 1-1 draw at home with Dagestani football club Anzhi Makhachkala.
After conceding a soft first-half goal via a Joo Carlos header, Zenit replied in the 66th minute through Konstantin Zyryanov. Neither side was able to convert its chances in the dying minutes of the game, Xinhua reports.
The result leaves Anzhi in second and Zenit in third place behind league leaders CSKA Moscow.
This was the second of two home games which Zenit were forced to play in an empty stadium after the Russian Football Union penalised the club for fan violence in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan