Zenit-Anzhi play 1-1 draw in empty St. Petersburg stadium
St. Petersburg: Defending Russian Premier League champions Zenit St. Petersburg played out a 1-1 draw at home with Dagestani football club Anzhi Makhachkala.
After conceding a soft first-half goal via a Joo Carlos header, Zenit replied in the 66th minute through Konstantin Zyryanov. Neither side was able to convert its chances in the dying minutes of the game, Xinhua reports.
The result leaves Anzhi in second and Zenit in third place behind league leaders CSKA Moscow.
This was the second of two home games which Zenit were forced to play in an empty stadium after the Russian Football Union penalised the club for fan violence in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...