Zenit enter Russian Cup semis on penalties
St. Petersburg: Defending Russian Premier League Champions FC Zenit St. Petersburg have overcome FC Kuban Krasnodar 4-3 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes to advance to the semifinals of the knockout Russian Cup.
Zenit striker Alexander Kerzhakov struck the post in an otherwise lacklustre first half despite vocal support from the local St. Petersburg crowd.
Although Zenit continued to hold the upper hand after half-time, both sides failed to convert multiple chances to clinch victory in the remaining 75 minutes of the quarter-final clash.
Zenit captain and goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malefeev finally came to the rescue of his heavily favoured team with three excellent saves during the deciding penalty shootout.
Sergey Semak, the most capped footballer in Russian football history, then coolly converted the deciding penalty to put Zenit in the semifinals, where they will face new Dagestani heavyweights Anzhi Makhachkala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?