Zenit enter Russian Cup semis on penalties
St. Petersburg: Defending Russian Premier League Champions FC Zenit St. Petersburg have overcome FC Kuban Krasnodar 4-3 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes to advance to the semifinals of the knockout Russian Cup.
Zenit striker Alexander Kerzhakov struck the post in an otherwise lacklustre first half despite vocal support from the local St. Petersburg crowd.
Although Zenit continued to hold the upper hand after half-time, both sides failed to convert multiple chances to clinch victory in the remaining 75 minutes of the quarter-final clash.
Zenit captain and goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malefeev finally came to the rescue of his heavily favoured team with three excellent saves during the deciding penalty shootout.
Sergey Semak, the most capped footballer in Russian football history, then coolly converted the deciding penalty to put Zenit in the semifinals, where they will face new Dagestani heavyweights Anzhi Makhachkala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says