Zenit football fans reject accusations of racism
St. Petersburg: Representatives of the Russian football club Zenit St. Petersburg`s largest fan group, Landskrona, defended their controversial recent manifesto, arguing simply that priority should be given to local players regardless of skin colour.
The manifesto shocked fans all over the world as it said that "African" and gay players would not be welcome by Landskrona fans on the grounds that they do not reflect the "spirit" of the club, reports Xinhua.
But Landskrona Tuesday rejected it saying it wants the club to give preference to local players, reports Xinhua.
"We once again reject any accusation of racism. In our manifesto, there is no mention of the idea that citizens of certain countries or believers in certain religions do not have the right to represent Zenit," the Landskrona website announced.
"We simply think that it makes sense for a local football club like Zenit to cast its net first in St. Petersburg and the surrounding regions in its search for talent, and only then to go further afield.
"Unfortunately, the reaction of large sections of the media and the general public suggests that in the present climate, any club or fan base which prefers local talent will be accused of racism, fascism, a desire to imitate Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, and other such rubbish," the fan group added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog