Zenit`s Denisov goes on strike over pay
St. Petersburg: Russia`s football captain Igor Denisov refused to play for his club side Zenit St. Petersburg because he had not been given a pay rise.
Denisov and striker Alexander Kerzhakov were relegated to training with the reserve team Sunday after Zenit`s 2-2 draw with Krylya Sovetov Saturday, in which Denisov was not included in the squad.
After the match, coach Luciano Spalletti harshly criticised several unnamed players that he said were trying to disrupt the team.
"[Denisov], in the style of an ultimatum, refused to go onto the pitch in the match against Krylya Sovetov, demanding a review of his personal contract," Zenit said in a website statement.
"By breaking his contract with the club, Denisov is behaving unprofessionally and moreover discrediting himself as a player of the club and the Russian national team and doing serious damage to his reputation."
Zenit suggested that the pay dispute was not linked to the 40 million euro signings of Hulk and Axel Witsel earlier this month, saying that Denisov had first asked for a pay rise in May.
"His wage is one of the highest not just at Zenit football club, but in the whole of the Russian championship," the club said.
"The wage is appropriate for a player of Igor`s high level."
When asked about why Kerzhakov had also been dropped, a Zenit spokesman said it was for unspecified "unreasonable behaviour" and that the decision had been taken by club management.
Another statement on Zenit`s website said that Kerzhakov and Denisov had been left out of the team`s preparations for Tuesday`s cup tie against Baltika Kaliningrad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!