Zenit`s Denisov goes on strike over pay
St. Petersburg: Russia`s football captain Igor Denisov refused to play for his club side Zenit St. Petersburg because he had not been given a pay rise.
Denisov and striker Alexander Kerzhakov were relegated to training with the reserve team Sunday after Zenit`s 2-2 draw with Krylya Sovetov Saturday, in which Denisov was not included in the squad.
After the match, coach Luciano Spalletti harshly criticised several unnamed players that he said were trying to disrupt the team.
"[Denisov], in the style of an ultimatum, refused to go onto the pitch in the match against Krylya Sovetov, demanding a review of his personal contract," Zenit said in a website statement.
"By breaking his contract with the club, Denisov is behaving unprofessionally and moreover discrediting himself as a player of the club and the Russian national team and doing serious damage to his reputation."
Zenit suggested that the pay dispute was not linked to the 40 million euro signings of Hulk and Axel Witsel earlier this month, saying that Denisov had first asked for a pay rise in May.
"His wage is one of the highest not just at Zenit football club, but in the whole of the Russian championship," the club said.
"The wage is appropriate for a player of Igor`s high level."
When asked about why Kerzhakov had also been dropped, a Zenit spokesman said it was for unspecified "unreasonable behaviour" and that the decision had been taken by club management.
Another statement on Zenit`s website said that Kerzhakov and Denisov had been left out of the team`s preparations for Tuesday`s cup tie against Baltika Kaliningrad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what