Zenit St. Petersburg fires coach Dick Advocaat
St. Petersburg: Zenit St. Petersburg fired coach Dick Advocaat on Monday following a 2-0 home loss to rival team Tom in the Russian soccer league on Sunday.
"Unfortunately, after Advocaat`s decision to take over the Belgium national team, Zenit`s results have notably gone down," the club said in a statement published on its Web site. "The club`s leadership and fans are not satisfied with the place Zenit holds in the Russian championships."
Anatoly Davydov, the club`s youth team manager, was appointed interim coach.
Zenit is currently seventh in the 16-team Russian league with 24 points after 17 games, 10 points behind leader Rubin Kazan.
Dutch-born Advocaat led Zenit to its first Russian league title in 2007 and won the UEFA Cup a year later.
In June, Advocaat, who took over Zenit in 2006, announced that he would not extend his contract with the club at the end of the season and would take over Belgium`s national team.
Advocaat has previously coached the national teams of the Netherlands, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates, as well as PSV Eindhoven and Scottish League champion Rangers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog