Zico pushes FIFA president candidacy
Brazilian football legend Zico said Tuesday he has formally asked the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) to put forward his candidacy to replace Sepp Blatter as FIFA president.
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian football legend Zico said Tuesday he has formally asked the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) to put forward his candidacy to replace Sepp Blatter as FIFA president.
However 62-year-old Zico, who has previously conceded he lacked support from Brazil`s footballing top brass, said he is ready to try another approach if he fails to get the CBF`s backing.
"The first option is this. I am Brazilian, I gave my services to the Brazilian team for 10 years," Zico told Globo Esporte sports news site.
"I sent a letter to the president (of the CBF)... laying out the reasons for my candidacy and now I`m just waiting for his reply to see whether he makes the commitment or not, if he accepts or not. But I won`t wait long because time is passing rapidly and we have other options," he said.
Blatter announced his intention to stand down on June 2, shortly after winning election to a fifth term, amid a corruption scandal sweeping through the FIFA executive committee.
Blatter announced last week that the election for his successor would be held on February 26, 2016.
UEFA chief and French favourite Michel Platini -- who crossed swords with Zico on the football pitch in the 1980`s including a memorable 1986 World Cup semi-final -- is seen as a frontrunner.
Zico -- who has managed several teams including Japan and Iraq as well as latterly Indian club side Goa -- has no experience in international football administration.