Zinedine Zidane better than Lionel Messi: Pele
Sao Paulo: Football legend Pele has said Lionel Messi does not yet deserve to be rated ahead of former France midfielder Zinedine Zidane.
Speaking during an event in Sao Paulo Thursday, the three-time World Cup winner claimed the 26-year-old Argentine had benefited from playing alongside his Barcelona teammates.
Asked if Messi, a four-time winner of the Ballon d`Or, was among the best of all time, Pele replied: "He still needs to surpass Zidane, who I think was better.
"Messi is the best in the world at the moment, but he has great players around him like Xavi and (Andres) Iniesta."
Pele added that he hoped Brazil would meet Uruguay in next year`s World Cup final at the Maracana stadium to avenge the Selecao`s loss to their neighbors at the same venue in the 1950 tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth