Zinedine Zidane better than Lionel Messi: Pele
Sao Paulo: Football legend Pele has said Lionel Messi does not yet deserve to be rated ahead of former France midfielder Zinedine Zidane.
Speaking during an event in Sao Paulo Thursday, the three-time World Cup winner claimed the 26-year-old Argentine had benefited from playing alongside his Barcelona teammates.
Asked if Messi, a four-time winner of the Ballon d`Or, was among the best of all time, Pele replied: "He still needs to surpass Zidane, who I think was better.
"Messi is the best in the world at the moment, but he has great players around him like Xavi and (Andres) Iniesta."
Pele added that he hoped Brazil would meet Uruguay in next year`s World Cup final at the Maracana stadium to avenge the Selecao`s loss to their neighbors at the same venue in the 1950 tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre