Zinedine Zidane better than Lionel Messi: Pele
Sao Paulo: Football legend Pele has said Lionel Messi does not yet deserve to be rated ahead of former France midfielder Zinedine Zidane.
Speaking during an event in Sao Paulo Thursday, the three-time World Cup winner claimed the 26-year-old Argentine had benefited from playing alongside his Barcelona teammates.
Asked if Messi, a four-time winner of the Ballon d`Or, was among the best of all time, Pele replied: "He still needs to surpass Zidane, who I think was better.
"Messi is the best in the world at the moment, but he has great players around him like Xavi and (Andres) Iniesta."
Pele added that he hoped Brazil would meet Uruguay in next year`s World Cup final at the Maracana stadium to avenge the Selecao`s loss to their neighbors at the same venue in the 1950 tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly