Zlatan Ibrahimovic forgets World Cup woe to help stretch PSG lead
Paris: Zlatan Ibrahimovic put his World Cup anguish behind him by scoring one goal and setting up another as champions Paris St Germain won 3-0 at Stade Reims to stretch their Ligue 1 lead to seven points on Saturday.
Ibrahimovic, who featured in Sweden`s World Cup playoff defeat by Portugal in midweek, put the seal on PSG`s win with a 90th-minute strike after earlier goals by Lucas Moura and Jeremy Menez.
The capital club, unbeaten in 34 games in all competitions, now have 34 points from 14 matches. Second-placed Lille host Toulouse on Sunday.
Brazil forward Lucas opened the scoring after a fine one-two with Ibrahimovic, firing home a low cross-shot in the 24th minute.
PSG were then barely troubled by a toothless Reims, the last team to beat them in a league match on March 2.
Menez, handed a rare start as coach Laurent Blanc rested Edinson Cavani after the forward had played for Uruguay on Wednesday, made it 2-0 with a powerful shot on the hour.
Reims, sixth on 19 points, missed a penalty in the 68th minute when Grzegorz Krychowiak skied his effort over the bar.
Ibrahimovic, who netted twice in Sweden`s 3-2 defeat in Stockholm on Tuesday, grabbed his ninth league goal of the season when he fired the ball in from 20 metres after a blunder by keeper Kossi Agassa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred