Are Sri Lanka well deserved champions of the ICC World Twenty20 2014?
The fifth edition of the ICC World Twenty20 is to kick-start from March 16. This time, sixteen countries will fight for the coveted title. West Indies are the defending champions. The Carribeans beat Sri Lanka – the host nation, in the final 2012.
The twenty-two days long event will be played in three venues across Bangladesh – Mirpur (Shere Bangla National Stadium), Chittagong (Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium) and Sylhet (Sylhet Stadium).
For the very first time in the tournament`s history, apart from all ten full member teams, six associate teams will also fight for the trophy. These teams have earned their entrance in the tournament through the 2013 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier. The top eight teams in the ICC T20 Championship rankings till 8 October 2012 are already placed in the Super 10 stage. The remaining eight teams will compete in the group stage, from which two best teams will join the elite teams in Super 10 stage.
For Nepal, UAE and Hong Kong it would be their maiden World Twenty20 tournament. The first match of the World T20 will be played between the host nation Bangladesh and minnows Afghanistan on March 16 at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
India won the inaugural edition of the tournament in 2007 in South Africa. Since then Pakistan (2009), England (2010) and West Indies (2012) lifted the coveted trophy respectively.
We at Zeenews.com invite you to post your comments and tell us who you think will emerge as the World Champions in fifth edition of World T20?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?