Are Sri Lanka well deserved champions of the ICC World Twenty20 2014?
The fifth edition of the ICC World Twenty20 is to kick-start from March16. This time, sixteen countries will fight for the coveted title. West Indies are the defending champions. The Carribeans beat Sri Lanka – the host nation, in the final 2012.
The twenty-two days long event will be played in three venues across Bangladesh – Mirpur (Shere Bangla National Stadium), Chittagong (Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium) and Sylhet (Sylhet Stadium).
For the very first time in the tournament`s history, apart from all ten full member teams, six associate teams will also fight for the trophy. These teams have earned their entrance in the tournament through the 2013 ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier. The top eight teams in the ICC T20 Championship rankings till 8 October 2012 are already placed in the Super 10 stage. The remaining eight teams will compete in the group stage, from which two best teams will join the elite teams in Super 10 stage.
For Nepal, UAE and Hong Kong it would be their maiden World Twenty20 tournament. The first match of the World T20 will be played between the host nation Bangladesh and minnows Afghanistan on March 16 at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur.
India won the inaugural edition of the tournament in 2007 in South Africa. Since then Pakistan (2009), England (2010) and West Indies (2012) lifted the coveted trophy respectively.
We at Zeenews.com invite you to post your comments and tell us who you think will emerge as the World Champions in fifth edition of World T20?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed