Can Ravi Shastri effectively address problems facing Indian cricket?
A campaign to register a much need overseas Test series win that began with great promise at Trent Bridge and Lord`s suddenly collapsed in a matter of weeks.
Alastair Cook`s England were embroiled in several controversies before India`s visit. The captain himself was heavily criticized from all quarters for his poor form and conservative captaincy.
Yet, a team in turmoil not only won the series 3-1 but also dismantled the mental make-up of India`s famed batting line-up.
In the wake of this disaster, the BCCI, like many times before along with MS Dhoni came in the eye of the storm for such an abject surrender by the team.
Several questions were raised by the media, former cricketers and public at large over Duncan Fletcher and MS Dhoni`s continuing as coach and captain of the team.
Under pressure, the sport`s governing body decided to hand the reigns of the team to their loyalist and commentator Ravi Shastri by assigning him the role of Team Director for the ODI and T20 matches against England.
Shastri, who has emerged as BCCI`s chief troubleshooter, was previously appointed in a similar role in 2007 as team manager for the ODI`s against Bangladesh after a shock exit from the World Cup in West Indies.
After his latest appointment, the former India all-rounder has rung in the changes by appointing Sanjay Bangar and Bharat Arun as assistant coaches and R Sridhar as fielding coach. Current bowling and fielding coaches Joe Dawes and Trevor Penny have bene given a "break".
Shastri is known for toeing the BCCI line on almost every issue of importance. He has defended India`s cricket governing body during interviews, conferences and even from the commentary box.
There is no clarity as to his appointment is short-term or not, which is why a question begs whether Ravi Shastri as Team Director will effectively address the issues faced by Indian cricket or is this appointmen mere lip-service by the BCCI?
We at Zeenews.com invite you to share your thoughts on whether Ravi Shastri is the right man to solve the problems in Indian cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in