Can Sochi Games be a success without any disruption?
Zee Media Bureau
As Sochi opens itself to a world audience for the 22nd Winter Olympics, many will ask if the organisers of the Games have indeed successfully put other issues in the back-burner, unveiling the Olympic movement in its newest light.
Staging an incident-free Olympic Games is the target for any organising committee, for any country hosting such a mega-sporting event. In the history of the Games, we have seen unwanted incidents taking precedence over the actuals sporting events.
Still today, the Black September resonates with what can go wrong in such a gathering of world`s top athletes. For all the reasons – territorial politics to individual choices, any protest, in any form can prove detrimental.
For the last few years, in the run-up to the Games in the Black Sea resort city, critics and detractors have been having a field day asking all the right questions on environmental issues, human rights concerns, including those of sexual minorities, safety of the athletes and a plethora of other issues – ranging from corruption to governance, in their myriad forms.
We, at Zeenews.com, invite you to post your comments and tell us what do you think is right and/or wrong about the overall success of Sochi Games, representing the true spirit of Olympic movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez