Should ‘Doosra’ be banned from International cricket?
A ‘doosra’ is a particular type of delivery by an off-spin bowler, which is bowled with the same finger action as a normal off break, but spins from the leg side to the off side to a right-handed batsman.
Since its invention, this delivery has drawn flak from many cricket experts who have criticized it saying that it cannot be bowled legally.
In July 2009 in Australia, a spin summit held at Cricket Australia’s Centre for Excellence decided not to teach this form of delivery to young spinners. According to the delegates that included players like Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill, ‘doosra’ will not be taught in Australia unless ICC decides to legalize all forms of chucking.
Many bowlers have made considerable use of ‘doosra’ in international cricket, including Indian Harbhajan Singh, Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan, South African Johan Botha, and the Pakistanis Shoaib Malik and Saeed Ajmal. However, all these spinners have had accusations of throwing levelled against them.
In a recent interview, former Indian skipper Bishan Singh Bedi said that cricket should be made chucking-free by banning the guilty bowlers, who are acting as role models for youngsters.
We at Zeecric.com want to ask our readers if they think that ‘doosra’ is an illegitimate delivery and if it should be banned from International cricket. Please post your comments to let us know.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state