Should the Lankan team be penalised for its unsporting gesture?
In a shocking display of unsportsmanship, Sri Lanka spinner Suraj Randiv bowled a deliberate no-ball to leave Virender Sehwag stranded on 99 in a cricket tri-series match on Monday.
The scores were tied at 170 and Sehwag was just one short of his 13th One Day hundred when Randiv, who has not bowled a no ball in the Test or ODI series this season, bowled a no ball which was hit by the swashbuckling opener for a six. The six however did not count because the no ball amounted to India`s winning run.
Without realising that, Sehwag raised his arms in the air in celebration only to be told that the score board would show him not out at 99.
India comfortably won the match by six wickets but the conduct of the Sri Lankan team caused upset in the Indian camp.
Minutes later, a livid Sehwag told journalists that Sri Lanka has a record of doing such things and he pointed out that they had left Sachin Tendulkar stranded with similar tactics in Cuttack.
The conduct of the Lankan team and Randiv in particular has come in for sharp criticism from present and former players.
Although Randiv later apologised to Sehwag for his conduct, the Sri Lankan cricket board has ordered a probe into the incident.
We at Zeecric.com want to ask our readers if they think that the unsporting gesture of the Lankan team was against the spirit of the game and should a player doing such a thing be punished.
Please post your comments and let us know.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan