5 yrs after asking Monty to zip it, Shiv kapur to tee off with him
Greater Noida: When an angry Colin Montgomerie questioned the special invite given to Jeev Milkha Singh for the 2008 Augusta Masters, Shiv Kapur had asked the legendary Scot to just "zip his mouth" in a rare display of aggression by a golfer.
Five years later, the two are set to tee off together when the Ryder Cup star makes his India debut at the European, Asian PGTI tri-sanctioned Avantha Masters starting at the Jaypee Greens golf course here tomorrow.
The two will start from the first tee half past afternoon along with Mardan Mamat of Singapore.
Interestingly, Jeev will tee off 10 minutes after them with defending champion Jbe Kruger and David Horsey of England.
Kapur`s blunt reaction to Montgomerie`s anger against invitations handed out to Asian players at that time is, however, a long-forgotten tale.
It just so happened that Jeev, who was in sublime form at that time and had broken into the world top-50, had been handed a special invitation to compete in the prestigious Augusta Masters for the second time.
The 49-year-old Montgomerie, on the other hand, had missed his chance after failing to finish inside top-50.
The disgruntled Scot, considered the best player never to have won a Major, claimed the invitations such as the one given to Jeev were driven by commercial interests.
Kapur took up the cudgels on Jeev`s behalf and minced no words in giving it back to the Ryder Cup star.
"It`s a clear case of sour grapes. He should just zip his mouth and focus on his game," Shiv had said.
As the two gear up to tee off in the same group tomorrow, it would be interesting to see if any of the two recall anything or let it remain a closed chapter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read