Adam Scott`s Open winning putt to be history from 2016
Sydney: Golfer Adam Scott will need to modify his putting stroke following a confirmed ban on anchoring the club by the Ancient Golf Club and the US Golf Association.
The golf`s governing bodies will implement the new rule 14-1b from January 2016 onwards, News.com.au reports.
According to the report, the ban will not allow the golfers to anchor a club directly against any part of the body and will rule out belly and chest putting that has helped in winning four major champions.
The 32-page document did not provide any statistical data which will prove the stroke to be an advantage.
RandA chief executive Peter Dawson said the report gives a comprehensive account of the reasons for taking the decision to adopt the new rule and addresses the concerns that have been raised.
Dawson claimed that though the ban has been a divisive issue, the governing body remains convinced that this is the right decision for golf.
USGA President Glen D Nager said that rule 14-1b is necessary to preserve one of the important traditions and challenges of the game, adding that the rule will ensure that players of all skill levels face the same challenges in the game.
Scott opposed the ban saying that he will continue to use the long putter although he will remove his anchor point slightly off his body, adding that the governing body should have made and implemented rules at the first place and not impose bans without any substantial evidence.
Scott claimed that there will not be much he can change and will only keep the putter a millimeter away from his chest.
The PGA Tour statement too disapproved the rule change by assuring that they will ascertain whether the various provisions of Rule 14-1b will be implemented in their competitions and will also examine the implementation following their discussion over the matter with Player Advisory Council and Policy Board members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre