All eyes on Tiger Woods as British Open starts
Liverpool: England`s former Ryder Cup star David Howell got the 143rd British Open underway just after the crack of dawn at Royal Liverpool Golf Club on Thursday with all eyes early on riveted on a "fit again" Tiger Woods.
The player who has dominated world golf over the last 17 years with 14 major wins comes into Hoylake at a crucial juncture in his stupendous career.
The latest in a succession of swing-stress related injuries over the last few years saw him revert to back surgery in late March to relieve a pain that left him at times unable even to get out of bed.
Woods, 18 months shy of his 40th birthday, says that for the first time in years he is pain free and ready to go as he once again hones in on his lifelong obsession of matching and finally surpassing the all-time major record of 18 wins held by Jack Nicklaus since 1986.
But some believe that the American has come back too soon both on the physical and the psychological level.
The verdict could be quick in coming on Thursday as Woods has an early start at 9:04am local time (0804GMT) in the company of Argentine veteran Angel Cabrera and Sweden`s world number two Henrik Stenson.
The last time Woods played a shot at Hoylake was eight years ago as he sunk the winning putt that brought him the 12th of his majors and one of the finest triumphs of his career, coming as it did just a few weeks after the death of his father Earl.
But much water has gone under the bridge since then as Woods readily admits.
"My life is very different than what it was then," was his own stark assessment of the eight years that separates his two outings at Hoylake.
Woods is the main story as ever, but there are several intriguing sub-plots that look set to illuminate what is being billed as one of the most open Opens of recent times.
Phil Mickelson is the defending champion at 44, Adam Scott seeks to bury the agony of two near misses in the last two years and emulate his boyhood hero Greg Norman, the last Australian to win the Open Championship 21 years ago and Rory McIlroy wants to finally come good in the tournament after six frustrating attempts.
Apart from Woods and Mickelson, the American challenge is led by world number four Bubba Watson and number five Matt Kuchar, while second ranked Stenson is out to become the first Swede and the first Scandinavian to lift the Claret Jug.
US Open winner Martin Kaymer, meanwhile, says that Germany`s World Cup triumph in Brazil could be the springboard he needs to pull off a rare Open double.
McIlroy has a morning start two groups after Woods, while Mickleson, Scott, Watson and the highly-fancied Justin Rose all have afternoon start times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark