Ambitious Jimenez aims to be Ryder Cup captain
Barcelona: Evergreen golfer Miguel Angel Jimenez has set his sights on being Ryder Cup captain one day having marked his 50th birthday on Sunday by saying he will compete in The Senior Open Championship.
The Spaniard, who claimed his 20th European Tour win in last month`s Hong Kong Open, is maintaining a busy schedule and will take part in this week`s Volvo Golf Champions tournament, held in South Africa, but plans to take time out to make his debut in the senior tournament in July.
Jimenez is then aiming to become Europe`s oldest Ryder Cup player by earning a place in the team ahead of the event in Gleneagles in September, and believes one day he can be captain.
"I think I can do it but I have to go step by step," he told Marca, while adding he is hoping to play in this year`s competition.
"I would like to be there. I am waiting for news and it would be great if I can."
Jimenez has been a Ryder Cup player on four occasions, the last in 2010 at the Celtic Manor Resort. He will return to Wales for the Senior Open Championship at Royal Porthcawl.
The veteran player who began his career as a caddie remains as driven as ever.
"I feel fine. I have spent 25 years travelling the world and competing and if you aren`t happy doing that then it would be impossible to be so. I am motivated," he said, before evaluating how the sport has changed in Spain.
"I am the last of the caddie players," he said.
"Golf has evolved and before it was much more difficult as we had to be caddies.
"We couldn`t play with the children of (club) members and play better than them. I am the last caddie and (Jose Maria) Olazabal is the first amateur player that came from humble roots."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani