Anirban Lahiri climbs to career-best 101 in world rankings
New Delhi: Rising star Anirban Lahiri`s tied third finish at the King`s Cup has lifted him to a career-best 101 in the official world golf rankings, making him the highest-placed Indian in the list.
The 26-year-old, who was placed 109 in the world rankings till last week, is now knocking on the doors of the top-100. Lahiri had earlier closed the year 2013 at World No. 111.
Lahiri had an outstanding season last year on the Asian Tour as he posted a win at the SAIL-SBI Open besides three runner-up finishes and four other top-10s.
His consistent performances in Asia helped him end the season in third place on the Asian Tour Order of Merit with earnings of USD 517,030, behind Kiradech Aphibarnrat of Thailand and Australian Scott Hend.
This was yet another career-best achievement for Lahiri, a three-time winner on the Asian Tour.
Lahiri, as a result of finishing in the top-four in Asia, has now sealed a place on the Asian team for the inaugural EurAsia Cup scheduled to be held in Malaysia in March.
Sanctioned by The European Tour and the Asian Tour, the EurAsia Cup will pit ten of the finest golfers from Asia against the ten best players of Europe over three days of matchplay golf. The Asian team is being led by legendary Thai golfer Thongchai Jaidee.
The final Asian Tour Order of Merit for 2013 saw two more Indians -- Gaganjeet Bhullar placed fifth and Shiv Kapur placed 10th -- make it to the top-10. Bhullar and Kapur currently occupy 141st and 143rd positions respectively in the world rankings.
The six other Indians who finished in the regional top-60 and retained their cards for the 2014 Asian Tour season were SSP Chowrasia (16th), Jyoti Randhawa (17th), Rahil Gangjee (29th), Rashid Khan (41st), Chiragh Kumar (52nd) and Himmat Singh Rai (53rd).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM