Anirban Lahiri confident of defending Avantha Masters title
Greater Noida: Three-time Asian Tour winner Anirban Lahiri of India is confident his mental strength will make the difference as he goes in search of a back-to-back victory at the 1.8 million euro Avantha Masters which tees off here Thursday.
Fresh from securing his third Asian Tour win through yet another play-off on home soil last week, Lahiri believes the training from his Vipassna meditation will set him apart from the rest of the strong field at the Avantha Masters which is tri-sanctioned by the Asian Tour, European Tour and Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI).
"My Vipassna training has definitely helped me a lot. It`s like swimming or cycling. Once you`ve learnt how it, you`ll not forget how to do it anymore," said Lahiri.
"It really depends thereafter how much you practise it. I`ve not practised it as much as I would like but I`m glad that it`s still there with me."
While Lahri is feeling at the top of his game, his rise was also met with several challenges along the way.
"After my first win, I suffered a bad patch and struggled through the second half of 2011. I`ve learnt from that last year and managed to keep it going and this year I would like to do more of the same," said Lahiri.
The Indian registered only one top-10 after his maiden breakthrough in 2011 but enjoyed a memorable year in 2012 when he won his second Asian Tour title and enjoyed four other top-10s to end the season in 10th place on the Order of Merit.
The season was also highlighted by a successful Major debut at the British Open where he finished tied 31st.
"Obviously the goals are different this year and I`m really glad I won last week as it has given me a great boost to the start of the year. I`m looking to push on and play well in the co-sanction events and get my world rankings up especially with the Olympics approaching," added Lahiri.
All events on the Asian Tour as well as Asian Development Tour (ADT) receive Official World Golf Ranking points and the winner of this week`s Avantha Masters will receive 20 world ranking points.
Meanwhile Jeev Milkha Singh, who is widely regarded as the flag bearer for golf in India, is pleased that he is starting the week in the best of form.
After being plagued by various injuries throughout his illustrious career which has seen him win six times on the Asian Tour and recording three other victories on European soil, the Asian Tour honorary member is ready to compete in the pink of health.
"I`m injury-free and I think that`s a good story to tell. Normally I would have been injured for the last five years. I`m feeling good about my game as I can hit the balls the way I want to now and not worry about any injuries," said Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in