Arjun Atwal way down as Wilcox wins maiden title in US
Valdosta (Georgia): Wrapping up a disappointing outing, Indian golfer Arjun Atwal finished right at the bottom with a final round of four-over 76 at the South Georgia Classic here.
The Indian ace, who slipped after a third round 78, began his final round with three birdies in the first six holes but lapsed into errors later to sing off 65th.
He bogeyed seventh and then ninth, 10th and 11th in a row. Further misery came in the form of three more bogeys in a row from 15th to 17th.
Meanwhile, Will Wilcox fired a one-over 73 and cruised to a four-stroke win for his first career title on the Web.Com Tour.
Wilcox began the final round at the Kinderlou Forest Golf Club with a whopping seven-stroke lead following a course-record 63 Saturday. He never let any of his challengers get closer than the final margin all afternoon.
The 26-year-old from Alabama bogeyed the 72nd hole but it didn`t matter as he finished at 15-under, well in front of Monday qualifier Zack Sucher (65), D.J. Brigman (70) and Michael Putnam (70).
Alex Rocha (67), Andrew Loupe (70) and Ryan Spears (71) were tied for the fifth place, five shots back.
Wilcox, a third-year pro, picked up a check for USD 117,000 and vaulted from No. 55 to No. 3 as the Tour reached the one-third mark of the 2013 schedule.
His season total of USD 139,061 put him on track to finish among the 25 leading earners this year, which would fetch a spot on the PGA Tour in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore