Atwal drops to finish 10th at McGladrey Classic
St Simons Island (USA): After holding the lead at the halfway stage and then lying third, Indian golfer Arjun Atwal slipped on the final day for a very modest 71 to end tied 10th at the McGladrey Classic.
It was his best finish for the year but did very little to move him closer to keep the card for 2013.
Atwal had rounds of 67, 63, 69 and 71 to be 10-under 270. In the final round, he started with a birdie but double bogeyed the second and then had another bogey on 10th.
Over the next eight holes, he managed only one birdie on the 15th.
Indian-born Swede Daniel Chopra shot 68 on the final day and came up to tied 15th, up from overnight 19th. He was nine-under 271 for the week.
Atwal is still 166 on the Money list and only the top 125 keep the card.
Tommy Gainey, who wears gloves on both hands while playing, flirted with history as he needed a birdie to shoot 59 in the final round. He ended with a 60 with eight birdies and an eagle to total 16-under 264, which held out for his first win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick