Atwal makes cut in US, Chopra misses out
Valdosta: Arjun Atwal overcame a mid-round blip to card a second-round 73 and make the cut at the South Georgia Classic on Web.Com Tour here.
The only Indian winner ever in a PGA Tour event, Atwal is now even par 144 for two rounds and was tied 49th after making the cut on the line.
Two other players with Indian connection had contrasting fortunes. Bhavik Patel (67-70, playing in his rookie year, was soaring in tied second place with four others, while Daniel Chopra (69-76) missed the cut, which fell at even par.
Atwal had three birdies and four bogeys. He birdied second, eighth and 16th, while he bogeyed the sixth, ninth, 11th an 14th.
Hudson Swafford fired a five-under 67 and grabbed the 36-hole. Swafford`s bogey-free effort put him at 8-under 136 and one stroke in front of Michael Putnam (68), Andrew Loupe (68), Will Claxton (66), D.J. Brigman (67) and Bhavik Patel (70).
Brazil`s Alex Rocha (71), Monday qualifier Nick Rousey (70), Tennessee`s Philip Pettitt (72), Troy Merritt (72) and first-round leader Ryan Spears (73) are knotted at 5-under 139 after two trips around the Kinderlou Forest Golf Club, which measures 7,781 yards and is the longest on the Web.Com Tour.
Fan favorite John Daly rolled in a 12-foot birdie putt on his final hole late in the day to finish at even-par 144 and make the cut on the number.
This week`s purse is USD 650,000 with USD 117,000 going to the champion and a total of 65 players made the cut.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch