Atwal makes cut, Tiger and Mickelson miss out
White Sulphur Springs (US): Indian golfer Arjun Atwal sank a tense 13-foot putt for a birdie on the 18th hole to squeeze inside the cutline but the two big names of the event Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson missed the cut at the Greenbrier Classic.
Atwal, who has had a tough time this season, missing more cuts than he has made, is now one-under 139 for two rounds on the par-70 Old White TPC Course.
Daniel Chopra missed the cut with a second round 74 after his first round 69.
Atwal had a bogey on the seventh but made up with birdies on 11th and 12th but a bogey on 13th placed him in the danger zone.
He hauled himself back to safety with a long birdie putt on the final hole to survive the cut.
But the big news was Tiger Woods missing the cut at the same event a week after winning his third title of the season.
Woods shot 71 and 69 and it was only ninth missed cut in his entire year.
Also missing the cut was Phil Mickelson, making it the first time the two have missed the cut in the same tournament as professionals.
When Woods was an amateur, he and Mickelson missed the cut at the 1993 Byron Nelson.
US Open champion Webb Simpson moved to the top of the leaderboard at nine-under as play was halted earlier due to darkness on ad ay when play was also delayed due to rain.
First round leader, Vijay Singh dropped down the leaderboard with a second round 74 after a first round 63.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!