Aussie Webb rallies to claim Founders Cup
Karrie Webb rolled in a half dozen birdies on her final eight holes as she came from behind to capture the LPGA Tour`s Founders Cup on Sunday.
The 39-year-old Australian closed with a nine-under 63 to finish with a 19-under 269 and win this event for the second time in three years.
"I stood on 10 tee and thought 20-under would have a chance. I thought at 19-under I`d definitely be in a playoff, if anything, not standing here as a winner," Webb stated.
"I wasn`t nervous, it was out of my control really. My job was done, and I just had to wait and see."
This was Webb`s second win of the year, and 41st of her career on the LPGA Tour.
Last year`s winner Stacy Lewis earned a share of second at 18-under by shooting a six-under 66 at the Wildlife Golf Club.
Lewis tied with Amy Yang (67), Azahara Munoz (67), Mirim Lee (69) and New Zealand`s Lydia Ko (70).
Lee led after the first two rounds, while Ko was atop the leaderboard entering the final round.
Thailand`s Pornanong Phatlum (66), Jessica Korda (70) and Ryu So-Yeon (68) tied for seventh place at 17-under 271.
Webb started the day six strokes behind Ko, and she played 10 groups ahead of the leader.
Webb made a birdie on the ninth hole to make the turn at 13-under, where she was still six shots behind.
Ko, 16, faltered to bogeys on the ninth and 11th to slip into a share of the lead at 18-under. Meanwhile Webb was red hot around the turn.
After a par on 17, Webb made a 20-footer for birdie at the last to end at 19-under.
Ko was finishing the 10th hole as Webb headed to the club house, then to the range in case someone caught her and forced a playoff.
Munoz, Yang and Lee all had birdie attempts on the 18th hole to try and get into a playoff, but none were successful.
"I had a really good start," Ko said. "Making four birdies on the first five holes was really good, and I struggled in the holes after that, but you know, I tried to get myself together, and I made some bogeys in the wrong time, which wasn`t ideal, but I tried my best until the last."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Federation Cup National Athletics: Lalita Babar sets national mark, Sudha Singh joins her in 2016 Rio Olympics 3000m steeple
- Delhi Speaker nominates 13 AAP MLAs as members of civic bodies
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore