Avantha Masters shifted from DGC to Jaypee Greens
Greater Noida: India`s richest golf event, the European and Asian Tour co-sanctioned Avantha Masters, has been shifted from DLF to Jaypee Greens Course this year and will be played from March 14 to 17 instead of the traditional February slot.
The demanding 7,347 yards, par-72 Championship Course at Jaypee Greens Golf Course, which opened in 2000, is the only course in India designed by two-time Major Champion Greg Norman.
The DLF Golf and Country Club hosted the 1.8 million euro event in 2010 (won by Andrew Dodt), 2011 (SSP Chowrasia) and 2012 (Jbe Kruger).
The tournament will again be co-sanctioned by the Asian Tours and European Tour and will comprise an increased field of 156 players, with 61 provided by Asian Tour, 61 by The European Tour, 28 by the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI) and the final six allocated to sponsor`s invitations.
Defending champion Jbe Kruger said he was looking foward to the opportunity of exploring the new venue, where he hasn`t played before.
"Winning your first European Tour event is always special, and I can`t wait to go back to India to defend my Avantha Masters title in March. It`s a great country with great people, and I`ve got some very fond memories of my victory in Delhi last year.
"I haven`t played Jaypee Greens but have heard great things about it, and if it`s anything like as good as last year`s, then we`re in for a real treat," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday