Bhullar begins campaign at CIMB Classic
Kuala Lumpur: India`s rising star Gaganjeet Bhullar will have his sights set on the Asian Tour Order of Merit crown when he competes at the lucrative USD 7 million CIMB Classic which starts here from Wednesday.
Bhullar, ranked third on the Asian Tour Order of Merit, trails current Merit leader Kiradech Aphibarnrat of Thailand by more than USD 400,000 but he hopes to narrow the gap with a solid result at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club.
"Kiradech is pretty far ahead of all of us. But every penny counts on Tour. The winner`s check is around USD 1 million. And if you win this thing, apart from winning the Order of Merit, there are other perks to enjoy. Definitely I`m going to keep my head stable to be in contention on Sunday," said the four-time Asian Tour winner.
Bhullar, highly regarded as one of the most exciting players in Asia, will have Spanish stalwart Sergio Garcia and flamboyant Rickie Fowler of the United States for company in the opening two rounds.
He is targeting another top finish this week after ending his campaign last season as the best placed Asian player in tied 10th position.
"I`ve got a good pairing on Thursday and Friday, I`ve been paired up with Sergio Garcia and Rickie Fowler. So obviously I think it`s going to be fun and interesting first two days.
"I`ve always got good memories of playing with some of the top players in the world. So goals are definitely to be in the top. This is definitely one of my favourite golf courses on the Asian Tour. I`ve played well here, and I just want to try to give my hundred percent this week," said Bhullar.
Anirban Lahiri, a three-time Asian Tour winner, hopes to carry his fine form into the CIMB Classic after finishing second and one-shot ahead of Ernie Els of South Africa at the Venetian Macau Open on Sunday.
"It`s always good to come into a big event with some confidence behind you. When you play a couple of good tournaments with low rounds, it helps you to believe in yourself and do even better," said Lahiri, who finished in tied 26th last year.
Lahiri, ranked seventh on the Asian Tour Order of Merit, is gearing for a big week as the winner will receive playing exemptions on the Asian Tour and PGA TOUR and earn a spot at the 2014 Masters Tournament.
"Personally, it`s obviously a great opportunity for all of us. The way I look at it is you get a good performance in right now, and can you open up a lot of doors. You can open up like America, for instance, if you play well enough, maybe get some kind of status, some conditional status if anything else, even if you don`t win," he said.
"Even otherwise it`s a very important week if you want to make an impact on the Asian Tour Order of Merit. There are a lot of bonuses there if you win Order of Merit or finish top three. So all of us here are trying to make a big impact this week," added Lahiri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception