Bhullar has Singh in his sights after first Asian Tour win
New Delhi: Jeev Milkha Singh will be looking over his shoulder after 21-year-old Gaganjeet Bhullar won his maiden Asian Tour title at the weekend and immediately set his sights on becoming India`s top golfer.
Bhullar won the Indonesia President Invitational tournament in Jakarta on Sunday by two strokes after firing a flawless five-under-par 67 in the final round for an impressive four-day total of 22-under-par 266.
"I`ve been waiting for this for the past two years," Bhullar said of his breakthrough victory after three top-10 finishes this season. "I will be gunning to be the top Indian golfer now."
Jeev Milkha Singh is the reigning Asian Tour Order of Merit champion and India`s top golfer but Bhullar, one of the brightest young talents on the Tour, has now moved up to 10th place with almost USD 125,000.
"I`ve won three times on the Indian circuit this year and my goal a few months back was to win on the Asian Tour," said Bhullar, who earlier this month became the youngest Indian to qualify for the British Open.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video