Bhullar looks to seal Order of Merit in Hong Kong
Hong Kong: India`s Gaganjeet Bhullar believes he can produce another standout performance that will see him become the next Indian to win the Asian Tour Order of Merit when the UBS Hong Kong Open golf tees off Thursday.
Bhullar, who has already won two Asian Tour titles this season, is bidding to add to India`s proud record of having produced the most number of Merit champions.
Jyoti Randhawa became the country`s first Asian number one in 2002 followed by Arjun Atwal in 2003 before Jeev Milkha Singh secured a double with wins in 2006 and 2008.
The talented 24-year-old, currently fourth on the rankings, credits his fighting spirit and a disciplined fitness regime which has conditioned him well for playing in his 12th straight tournament since Switzerland in August.
"I`m glad I`ve improved on my mental and physical fitness over the years and they`ve been keeping me going and helping me play more tournaments each week," said Bhullar.
"This is my 12th tournament in a row since the start of the second half season and I`m planning to take some time off after Hong Kong," added Bhullar.
The Indian, regarded as a member of the new generation of young stars to emerge from the Asian Tour, is happy with his improved performance and is looking forward to his renewed challenge at the tournament as well as the Order of Merit title.
"Subconsciously, winning the Order of Merit title is at the back of my mind and it would be really great if I can take a step closer to winning it this week," said Bhullar.
Bhullar will be up against defending champion and world number one Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland as well as members of the victorious Ryder Cup team that include Scotland`s Paul Lawrie, Spain`s Miguel Angel Jimenez, and Captain Jose Maria Olazábal at the 54th edition of Hong Kong`s longest-running sporting event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days