Bhullar maintains lead at Macau Open
Macau: India`s Gaganjeet Bhullar stayed firmly in the driver`s seat at the Venetian Macau Open golf after scrambling to a two-under-par 69 in the third round here Saturday.
The 24-year-old Bhullar, who has led the$750,000 Asian Tour event from the opening day, retained his overnight two-shot lead at the Macau Golf and Country Club but rued two missed putts from close range over the last two holes.
Thai youngster Thitiphun Chuayprakong also shot a 69 to stay in contention for a maiden Asian Tour victory while Filipino Angelo Que (70), Scott Hend of Australia (69) and American Berry Henson (68) will enter the final round four shots back.
Three-time Asian Tour number one Thongchai Jaidee`s challenge fizzled after a disappointing 73 while Bangladeshi Siddikur also failed to mount a run at Bhullar following a 72 which included five dropped shots in the middle of his round.
The supremely talented Bhullar will be aiming for a second victory within the space of a month but knows his challengers will not hand him victory on a silver platter.
"I`ve won a few times wire-to-wire in India. The goal now is to do it on the bigger stage and on a bigger level," said Bhullar, who has a three-day total of 13-under-par 200.
The lead could have been bigger for Bhullar, ranked sixth on the Order of Merit, if he had not missed short putts in his last two holes. The Indian missed par from three feet on 17 and then failed to convert a birdie chance from a similar range at the last hole. In all, he snared five birdies against three bogeys as he maintained his chase for a fourth career victory on the Asian Tour.
Thitiphun, 20, continued to show his growing stature by staying in touch with Bhullar after signing for four birdies against two bogeys. He overcame his early nerves to remain as Bhullar`s main threat.
Filipino Que, chasing a fourth Asian Tour win, was kicking himself for not taking advantage of the easier front nine which he toured in 37 following a triple bogey on the fifth hole. But he fought back on the inward stretch with three birdies.
Scores after Round 3:
200 - Gaganjeet Bhullar (IND) 63-68-69.
202 - Thitiphun Chuayprakong(THA) 67-66-69.
204 - Berry Henson (USA) 67-69-68, Scott Hend (AUS) 65-70-69, Angelo Que (PHI) 68-66-70.
205 - Jonathan Moore (USA) 67-68-70, Adilson da Silva (BRA) 68-66-71, Kieran Pratt (AUS) 66-68-71, Prom Meesawat (THA) 65-68-72.
206 - Antonio Lascuna (PHI) 68-72-66, Siddiukr (BAN) 66-68-72.
207 - Unho Park (AUS) 69-68-70, Shiv Kapur (IND) 70-67-70, Rikard Karlberg (SWE) 69-68-70, Thongchai Jaidee (THA) 66-68-73.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Avoided choosing 'populist course', opted for 'more difficult path': PM Narendra Modi
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone