Bhullar sets sights on Merit challenge
Kuala Lumpur: Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar`s victory at last weekend`s Venetian Macau Open showed that his march towards the top is well on track.
With his idol Jeev Milkha Singh winning the Order of Merit title twice in 2006 and 2008, Bhullar does not have to look far as he strives to become Asia`s best player this season.
"Jeev has set targets for us. The two wins, multiple category right now, winning the Order of Merit would be nice," said Bhullar, who moved to fifth place on the Order of Merit after earning $118,875 from his fourth Asian Tour victory in Macau.
"There`re a lot of big weeks coming up, Singapore, Hong Kong, Johor and the Indian Open. Obviously, it`s not that far (from his position on the Order of Merit) and a few good weeks can jump my ranking to number one."
While Singh still leads the title count, Bhullar believes that the gap will be narrowed in time to come.
"Jeev has won about 13 international titles and I`ve only won four. The number is increasing," added the 24-year-old.
The Indian is also confident that he can take over the mantle and continue to put India on the world map when his compatriots decide to call time on their career.
"I guess the next responsibility of Indian golf is on our shoulders, including Himmat Rai and Anirban Lahiri. We are the future of Indian golf. We have to prove to the people that the next generation is ready to take over," said Bhullar.
"I have thought about the European Tour and PGA Tour. Last year, I tried the PGA Tour Qualifying School. But this year, I`m not exempt. It didn`t make sense for me to skip the big tournaments in Asia as I would lose my world ranking points. So its better I play well in these tournaments, gain world ranking points and go straight to the PGA Tour," added Bhullar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued