Bhullar wins third Asian Tour title
Taipei: India`s Gaganjeet Bhullar fought his way to his third Asian Tour title by closing with three-under-par 69 at the weather-shortened Yeangder Tournament Players Championship here Monday.
Bhullar had to fend off the challenges of American Jason Knutzon and 14-time Asian Tour winner Thaworn Wiratchant of Thailand to win the US$500,000 event with his three-day total of 12-under-par 204 at the Linkou International Golf and Country Club.
Knutzon enjoyed his best result of the season with his tied-second finish alongside Thaworn, whose hopes of securing a back-to-back victory effectively ended when he was left to mull a one-shot penalty incurred because of slow play.
Having to settle for second best behind Thaworn in Malaysia a fortnight ago, Bhullar was determined to make amends for his disappointments at the Yeangder TPC which was reduced to 54-stroke play tournament because of inclement weather.
"I told myself that I`ve got to win this tournament no matter what happens. I played really well on the par-fives all week," said Bhullar.
"This whole week I was totally focused and I was in the zone."
Bhullar held a single shot lead heading into the final round and quickly extended his advantage to two with an opening birdie on the first hole.
He dropped a shot on the third but recovered quickly with two more birdies on the fourth and eight holes to turn in 34.
After another birdie on the 10th hole, Bhullar dropped two shots on the 11th and 13th which saw his lead over Knutzon and Thaworn trimmed to one-shot.
Bhullar answered back with another two birdies in his closing three holes which included the 16th hole and par-five 18th to cement his place as the week`s best golfer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'