Birdie blitz puts Driscoll two ahead at Puerto Rico Open
Rio Grande: American James Driscoll used a string of seven straight birdies to card a nine-under-par 63 for a two-shot lead after the opening round of the Puerto Rico Open on Thursday.
Driscoll`s round, which started on the back nine, could have been even better but he followed an eagle at the par-five fifth with a pair of bogeys at the seventh and eighth.
Compatriot Will Mackenzie was two shots back followed by a trio on six-under made up of 2009 US Masters winner Angel Cabrera and Americans Omar Uresti and Brendan Steele.
Driscoll`s round equalled the course record and he said he was not too disheartened by the late bogeys.
"With three holes to go I definitely could have been lower but I got a few lucky breaks out there, too, so I`m not really looking back thinking that it should have been a lot lower," said Driscoll.
"I made two putts that you don`t expect to make from off the green that are like 50-footers up through about five paces of fairway and up a slope and both of those went in."
"So it was kind of one of those days where you felt like you got a little bit of luck but also made some good shots."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH