Birdie blitz puts Driscoll two ahead at Puerto Rico Open
Rio Grande: American James Driscoll used a string of seven straight birdies to card a nine-under-par 63 for a two-shot lead after the opening round of the Puerto Rico Open on Thursday.
Driscoll`s round, which started on the back nine, could have been even better but he followed an eagle at the par-five fifth with a pair of bogeys at the seventh and eighth.
Compatriot Will Mackenzie was two shots back followed by a trio on six-under made up of 2009 US Masters winner Angel Cabrera and Americans Omar Uresti and Brendan Steele.
Driscoll`s round equalled the course record and he said he was not too disheartened by the late bogeys.
"With three holes to go I definitely could have been lower but I got a few lucky breaks out there, too, so I`m not really looking back thinking that it should have been a lot lower," said Driscoll.
"I made two putts that you don`t expect to make from off the green that are like 50-footers up through about five paces of fairway and up a slope and both of those went in."
"So it was kind of one of those days where you felt like you got a little bit of luck but also made some good shots."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'