Birdie brace means that Freddie Couples misses Super Bowl
Dubai: Seattle Seahawks fan Freddie Couples was left cursing his own golfing skills at the Dubai Desert Classic when making the cut on Friday meant that he would miss seeing Sunday`s Super Bowl.
The 54-year-old American veteran was invited over to Dubai as a past winner with the tournament celebrating its 25th anniversary. He did not expect to make the cut meaning he would be back in time for the showdown with the Denver Broncos.
Instead, the former Masters champion ducked just under the cut which meant he had to stay on in the Gulf for the weekend.
"I have two 50-yard line seats and here I am standing here having birdied the last two holes, so you can call me stupid. Please call me stupid," Couples said after making the cut.
"I tried to bogey 16 and I did and I tried to bogey the par five, 13th but I just couldn`t butcher enough holes.
"So I am going to have to make money now selling the tickets.
"This would have been my first Super Bowl. I grew up in Seattle and I am a seson ticket-holder. I paid a lot of money for them and it`s my team playing. So I`m gutted."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Fast, stretchy circuits could revolutionise Internet of Things!
- This latest OK JAANU pic shows Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor are so much in love!
- Major trouble for Tanmay Bhat! Raj Thackeray-led MNS vows to thrash him for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar
- Sahara group puts out huge 4,700 acres of land for sale
- Sensex shows traction, up 117 on monsoon update, strong Q4