Blixt hoping to catch fire at Sulphur Springs
The PGA Tour heads to West Virginia this week for the $6.5 million Greenbrier Classic as Swede Jonas Blixt seeks his first victory since hoisting the trophy last year.
The 30-year-old would like nothing more than to get his game back on track after missing the cut in six of his last nine events.
"As a golfer you can never be happy," Blixt said. "Probably 80 percent of the time I am not happy with how I play and 20 percent of the time I am happy with it.
"There is no perfect shot in golf. The more I play, I find the more of a struggle it is at times. You are trying to reach where you`ve been once before, where everything comes to you... instead of you trying to get there."
Blixt will tee off in a group with FedEx Cup standings leader Jimmy Walker and Scott Stallings when the tournament begins Thursday at The Old White course.
Two-time Masters winner Bubba Watson, Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley and Steve Stricker are in the field, but Tiger Woods - recovering after injury - is not.
There are four spots in the British Open up for grabs.
Blixt says he is close to returning to the form he had last year.
"It has been a bit of a roller coaster," he said. "I struggled last month. I don`t feel like I am too far off. It wouldn`t surprise me if I played well this week."
Last year, Blixt fired a final-round 67 and finished at 13-under-par 267 for a two-stroke win over Walker, Steven Bowditch, Matt Jones and Johnson Wagner. It was an up-and-down closing round but he still managed to hold off the field for his second win on the US Tour.
"Winning this tournament got me into a few other events and a little higher level events like the British Open, all the majors and stuff like that. I felt like I took a big step both that way and confidence-wise."
Earlier this year, Blixt tied for second at The Masters but not much else has gone his way.
He has just one top-10 finish so far. In 18 tournaments, Blixt has missed the cut eight times. At The Players Championship he made the first cut but missed the secondary one following the third round.
Nick Faldo and Tom Watson also join the field. Australia`s Stuart Appleby will play this week as he looks to recreate the magic from 2010 when he closed with a blistering 59 to clinch the title.
World number three Watson recently moved into a new home close by The Old White course.
"It is nice being able to sleep in your own bed. I am excited about the week," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt