Bourdy takes 2-stroke lead at Hong Kong Open
Hong Kong: Gregory Bourdy of France shot a bogey-free 7-under 63 on Saturday to take the lead heading into the final round of the $2.5 million Hong Kong Open.
Robert-Jan Derksen of the Netherlands was the only one of the three other overnight leaders to keep pace with Bourdy, shooting a 5 under to stay within two strokes after the third round.
Bourdy, a two-time winner on the European Tour, maintained his form from Friday, making four birdies on the front nine and three on the back nine for a 16-under 194.
Rising star Rory McIlroy shot a 65 to sit five strokes off the pace and bolster his chances of claiming the European Tour money title, despite a seesawing day that saw him make a double bogey, a bogey, six birdies and an eagle.
With Hong Kong the last stop before the $7.5 million year-end championship in Dubai next week, the 20-year-old from Northern Ireland is No. 2 on the money race behind England`s Lee Westwood. McIlroy came close to winning the Hong Kong title last year, losing a playoff to Taiwan`s Lin Wen-tang.
Two-time Hong Kong champion Miguel Angel Jimenez of Spain briefly enjoyed the clubhouse lead with a 7 under, before moving into fourth with an overall 10 under with Lin (67), Ireland`s Peter Lawrie (66) and Italian Francesco Molinari (66).
U.S. PGA Championship winner Y.E. Yang had a double bogey and two bogeys before recovered to a 1-under 69. The South Korean shared 10th at 202 in a group that included with England`s Ian Poulter (68) and overnight co-leader Charl Schwartzel of South Africa (71).
The fourth overnight leader, China`s Liang Wenchong, also faded, shooting four bogeys for a 2-over 72 and was in a group another shot back.
Westwood, who is playing in Hong Kong for the first time, has complained about having a hard time getting used to the course at the Hong Kong Golf Club in Fanling and continued to struggle on Saturday, shooting three bogeys en route to a 1-under 69 that put him at 205.
Eight-time European Tour Order of Merit winner Colin Montgomerie shot a 3-under 67 and was also at 5 under.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends