Bourdy wins in Hong Kong, McIlroy tops money list
Hong Kong: Frenchman Gregory Bourdy produced a three-under-par 67 to win the co-sanctioned Hong Kong Open by two strokes from Rory McIlroy.
Overnight leader Bourdy finished on a 19-under-par total of 261 at Fanling for his third European Tour title and a cheque for 279,288 euros ($416,200).
It also booked his spot in next week`s season-ending Dubai World Championship.
McIlroy fired a 64 to finish runner-up for the second year running and overtake fellow Briton Lee Westwood at the top of the European money list.
The 20-year-old Northern Irishman took home 186,190 euros helped by a surge of three birdies and an eagle on the back nine was halted by a bogey on the 17th.
"I didn`t look at the leaderboard until the 18th green," the 27-year-old Bourdy told reporters after his first European Tour win since Estoril in April last year.
"I didn`t know McIlroy was playing well. Dubai was a big motivation. I needed to win and I did. It`s my mother`s birthday today so I have everything!"
Westwood slumped to a 74 to complete an unhappy first appearance in Hong Kong as he finished in a tie for 54th and pocketed just 6,200 euros.
Bourdy began the day two shots ahead of Dutchman Robert-Jan Derksen, who carded a 68 to finish in a share for third place at 16 under with Italy`s Francesco Molinari (64).
Britain`s Ian Poulter, who won the Singapore Open earlier this month, and Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin both shot 64s for a share of fifth on 14 under.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range