C Muniyappa wins final stage of 2014 PGTI Qualifying School
Pune: Bangalore`s C Muniyappa won the final stage of PGTI`s Qualifying School for 2014 at the Poona Club Golf Course here Friday.
Muniyappa totaled eight-under-276 for the tournament after he posted a four-over-75 in the final round on today. Karan Taunk of Jamshedpur finished second at five-under-279.
The top 38 players from the Final Qualifying Stage earned full cards for the 2014 PGTI season.
C Muniyappa (63-66-72-75) had a forgettable front-nine as he dropped four shots on the first five holes and a double-bogey on the ninth against a lone birdie on the seventh. His back-nine turned out to be much better as he picked up birdie-eagle-birdie on the 10th, 11th and 12th and thereafter dropped three bogeys.
The 37-year-old Muniyappa, said, "This win is a huge morale-booster for me as I struggled with injury and form recently. I struck the ball well for a major part of the tournament and managed recoveries from some tough situations. I was off-target today with my tee shots but managed to hang in there till the end. I made a chip-in from 30 yards for eagle on the 11th."
Karan Taunk`s (70-73-67-69) 69 in the final round helped him finish runner-up with a five-under-279 total.
Chandigarh-based American national Rahul Bakshi was a further three strokes behind in third place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren