C Muniyappa wins final stage of 2014 PGTI Qualifying School
Pune: Bangalore`s C Muniyappa won the final stage of PGTI`s Qualifying School for 2014 at the Poona Club Golf Course here Friday.
Muniyappa totaled eight-under-276 for the tournament after he posted a four-over-75 in the final round on today. Karan Taunk of Jamshedpur finished second at five-under-279.
The top 38 players from the Final Qualifying Stage earned full cards for the 2014 PGTI season.
C Muniyappa (63-66-72-75) had a forgettable front-nine as he dropped four shots on the first five holes and a double-bogey on the ninth against a lone birdie on the seventh. His back-nine turned out to be much better as he picked up birdie-eagle-birdie on the 10th, 11th and 12th and thereafter dropped three bogeys.
The 37-year-old Muniyappa, said, "This win is a huge morale-booster for me as I struggled with injury and form recently. I struck the ball well for a major part of the tournament and managed recoveries from some tough situations. I was off-target today with my tee shots but managed to hang in there till the end. I made a chip-in from 30 yards for eagle on the 11th."
Karan Taunk`s (70-73-67-69) 69 in the final round helped him finish runner-up with a five-under-279 total.
Chandigarh-based American national Rahul Bakshi was a further three strokes behind in third place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender