Caddy credits Els’ going teetotaller for The Open success
London: Ernie Els, the winner of the Open Championship, had quit taking alcohol in order to concentrate on his golfing career, according to his caddy, Ricci Roberts.
Els, who used to be a hard drinker once, and even used to boast of having more booze in his private jet than fuel, gave up alcohol more than two months before his dramatic triumph at Royal Lytham on Sunday.
“We were having dinner one night a couple of months ago, when Ernie suddenly announced: ‘I’m not going to bother having a glass of wine tonight.’ And, I haven’t seen him touch a drop since,” The Sun quoted Roberts, as saying.
“Even when he was handed a glass of champagne after he won the Open, I didn’t see him take a single sip,” he added.
“I know he said he wants to meet Nelson Mandela again to share a drink from the claret jug, but there’s a good chance it might be filled with Diet Coke! I’m not saying the big man has gone soft — just that he’s become a little more sensible than the rest of us,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security