Campbell fires his way to Canadian Open lead
Vancouver: American Chad Campbell brought his good form from Europe back to North America, firing a solid three-under-par 67 to grab the early second round lead at the Canadian Open on Friday.
Campbell, who tied for fifth at last week`s British Open, took advantage ideal scoring conditions at the Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club by mixing five birdies with a pair of bogeys to reach the midway point at four-under 136, one stroke ahead of compatriot Paul Goydos.
After the diabolical conditions faced at Royal St George`s, Campbell arrived in Vancouver well prepared to take on a demanding Shaughnessy layout that has been compared to a U.S. Open because of its tight fairways and jungle-like rough.
"It`s a tough golf course, everyone knew that coming in," said Campbell, who is chasing his first PGA Tour win since 2007. "I haven`t seen too many people get to the green from the rough. You have to keep the ball on the fairway."
Playing the back nine first, Goydos had a chance to join Campbell atop the leaderboard but bogeyed his final hole for a one-under-par 69.
World number one Luke Donald, struggling to find his groove after missing the cut at the British Open, could again have the weekend off after returning a 73 to leave the Briton sitting on the projected cut of three-over.
Donald got off to a sluggish start going four-over after 12 holes before fighting back with birdies at 14 and 15. But the Briton`s charge quickly petered out when he close his round with a fifth bogey at the last.
Twice Canadian champion Jim Furyk returned a level par 70 but was also in the danger zone thanks to a double-bogey on 18 that left the American at four-over for the tournament.
Carl Pettersson`s title defence ended with a second straight 74 that left the Swede at eight-over and well out of contention.
Canadian Mike Weir, a local favourite and former Masters champion, pulled out with a sore elbow six holes into his second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe