Chinese young golfer Dou Zecheng driving for gold at Nanjing Youth Olympics
Nanjing, China: Chinese golfer Dou Zecheng is hoping for the biggest win of his life at the second Youth Olympics in Nanjing.
The 17-year-old from central China`s Henan province, is the top-ranked Chinese amateur golfer in the World Amateur Golf Rankings, at No.39, reports Xinhua.
Dou even had a starring role in Saturday night`s opening ceremony. He was one of eight Youth Olympic Games` athlete representatives who received the Olympic flag from the eight Chinese flag bearers who marched it into the stadium.
The teenager`s story began when he took up the sport when he was six. Dou, whose nickname is Marty, said: "At the very beginning I played it for fun with my dad, and I always love it. I began to focus on training and competing a few years ago. Now I`m in the second grade at high school. I spend much of my spare time playing golf."
He plans to go to university aboard when he finishes school. Afterwards he would like to become a professional golfer. The high school student is well on his way too after winning the 2014 PGA tour China Buick open and finishing second in the 2013 Nomura Cup.
He has competed in both China and the US, but feels very patriotic about competing at Nanjing 2014. So much so that he decided to miss a major competition in July to focus on winning the gold medal.
"I`m the only golf player representing China. It`s my great honour and pleasure to be here. I feel the pressure but I can handle it. My goal is to win the Games," he said with confidence.
The golf competition gets underway Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire