Chopra one shot off lead, Atwal misses cut
Athens: Daniel Chopra, who has a head cover depicting Yoda, the iconic character of Star Wars, carded a second successive three-under 68 to move to six-under 138 and into tied second even as Arjun Atwal missed the cut at the end of the second round of the Stadion Classic here.
The Indo-Swede Chopra, who lost his PGA Tour card last season, and is now playing on Web.Com and hoping to secure a PGA berth for 2014, is one of four players tied at 6-under alongside New Zealand`s Tim Wilkinson (67-69), Americans Matt Bettencourt (69-67) and Brendon Todd (66-70).
One shot ahead of this quarter were leaders Russell Knox (69-66) and Michael Putnam (67-68).
Meanwhile, Bhavik Patel, an American of Indian origin, carded a 69 after a first-round 68, and was tied seventh at five-under 137.
Atwal, the only Indian winner ever on PGA, missed the cut after rounds of 75 and 71 as the cut fell at one-over.
Chopra may well have been in sole lead but for his double bogey on par-3 16th.
Chopra, a three-time winner on Web.Com Tour and two-time winner on the PGA Tour, birdied the 18th for his second straight 68, while Bettencourt carded a bogey-free 67.
Wilkinson made three birdies and a bogey for a 69.
Chopra will be hoping for some better scores on the third day, which is also the Star Wars Day.
The 39-year old Chopra had just 24 putts Friday and has had just 50 through 36 holes.
The conditions were rather demanding with winds and showers on a course that was playing tough already.
John Daly withdrew due to a shoulder injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof