Chowrasia, Kapur make cut; Bhullar, Jeev miss out in Italy
SSP Chowrasia gave away a late double bogey but was still the better of the two Indians who made the midway cut at the 71st Italian Open presented by Damiani.
Torino: SSP Chowrasia gave away a late double bogey but was still the better of the two Indians who made the midway cut at the 71st Italian Open presented by Damiani.
Chowrasia shot 72 and was still at three-under for 36 holes in tied 44th place, while Shiv Kapur (69) was at two-under 142 and in tied 57th place.
Missing the cut were Gaganjeet Bhullar (70-73) and Jeev Milkha Singh (76-71).
Chowrasia, making an attempt to win back his card and full playing privileges on European Tour, where he twice won co-sanctioned events with Asian Tour, shot an even par 72, which included three birdies on front nine.
But a bogey on 11th and a double bogey on par-five 15th followed by a closing bogey on 18th much of the day's effort that also included a birdie on 16th hole.
Kapur, starting on the back nine, had four birdies against one bogey.
Meanwhile, a superb back nine of six-under 30 helped Stephen Gallacher revive his Ryder Cup dream.
The Scotsman, who needs to win or finish second (alongside no more than one other player) in Italy to take the last of nine available spots on the European Team to face the USA at Gleneagles next month, was informed that South African Hennie Otto and Austrian Bernd Wiesberger had carded respective rounds of 62 and 66 to move 15 and 12 shots clear of him as he prepared to begin his second round at Circolo Golf Torino ? La Mandria.
An eagle at the first hole got Gallacher off to the perfect start. He followed that with a birdie on the fifth before a double bogey on the sixth dealt a life-threatening blow to his lifelong Ryder Cup dream.
But Gallacher roared back into contention with a sensational back nine that saw him make six birdies to take a huge chunk out of Otto's lead and give himself a chance to achieve his goal of a top two finish with 36 holes to go.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened