Chowrasia starts his season in South Africa
George: SSP Chowrasia, one of the three Indians to have won more than once on the European Tour, begins the season with renewed hope as he tees up at the Volvo Golf Champions.
The Kolkata professional, who won the Avantha Masters last year, has not been able to replicate that form.
"I have had a loss of form, but I know in golf it can happen. I saw that happen in 2008 after I won the Indian Masters, but things turned around at the start of 2011. This is a great tournament to start in 2012. I am among champions and winners and this field inspires me," said Chowrasia.
There are just 35 players in this limited field event. Only 2011 and 2012 European Tour winners and those with 10 or more career tournament victories are eligible for the event, which offers a first prize of USD 350,000. There is no cut and the player who finishes last will earn USD 22,000.
The 6,648-metre course is a man-made links, built on the site of a disused airfield, and is renowned as a challenging test of golf. There are five par-fives and the course is par 73.
South Africans will have a huge home advantage and hoping to make use of it will be Ernie Els, the 42-year-old former US and British Open champion, who after a lean spell has slumped to 71 in the world rankings. Two-time Major winner Retief Goosen is also looking to start the year strongly.
The South African challenge includes Major winners 2010 Open champion Louis Oosthuizen and 2011 Masters winner Charl Schwartzel.
The international field features Thomas Bjorn, 2011 Open winner Darren Clarke, Simon Dyson, Padraig Harrington, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Robert Karlsson, Colin Montgomerie and 2012 Ryder Cup Captain Jose Maria Olazabal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door