City golfer to represent India at US Golf World Championship
New Delhi: Teen golfer Aniket Sawant is all geared up for the international challenge as he will represent India in the US Kids Golf World Championship and Teen World Championship starting July 25 in North Carolina.
The 17-year-old made it into the tournament after winning the qualifying round held last month and will be India`s only bet in the championships to be played till August 3.
"I am very proud to represent my country. It will be a tough challenge competing against some of the talented juniors of the world. It`s a dream to play in the US. It will be a good platform to showcase my skills and get international exposure," Aniket said.
Coming from an army background, Aniket developed interest in the sport at the age of 12, while his dad was posted in Pune. Since then his love for the sport is on the rise.
"I started off playing golf at the Army golf course in Pune. I am lucky that I come from defence background as one gets to play the sport in the Army courses at nominal cost," Aniket, a student of Sanskriti School, said.
"In the last two-three years I have started taking golf more seriously and thinking of pursuing it as a career."
Studying in class 12th, Aniket hasn`t been able to devote enough time to domestic IGU circuit and local tournaments this season but the teenager is confident of good showing.
"I was happy with my performance at the qualifying event in Chandigarh and hoping to deliver the goods in the States. My aim would be to finish in the top-10 of my event," the city-based golfer said.
Players from over 30 countries are expected to participate in the tournament organised by US Kids Golf Foundation. It organises local tours in various part of the world and based on the performances in these events, the finalists are chosen.
Eight others kids, in the age group of 8 to 12, will also be competing at the World Kids Championships at Pinehurst in their respective age-division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days