Ernie Els clinches British Open
Lytham ST. Annes, England: Ernie Els has won his fourth major championship in an astonishing finish, rallying to beat Adam Scott in the British Open when the Aussie bogeyed the last four holes.
Scott pushed his lead back to the four strokes it was at the beginning of the round when he made birdie at the 14th hole. But Els birdied the 18th for a 2-under 68, then headed to the putting green hoping his score was good enough to get him in a playoff.
Turns out, it was good enough for the claret jug.
Scott missed a short putt at the 16th and drove into a fairway bunker at 18. After punching back in the fairway, the Aussie hit a brilliant iron to 7 feet. But the par putt slid by the cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez