European golf tour head apologises for using `coloured` term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
The head of the European golf tour has offered an apology for using the word `coloured` during a live television interview in which he was referring to the spat between World No.1 Tiger Woods and Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia.
European Tour CEO George O`Grady had said that `most of Sergio`s friends are coloured athletes in the United States`, the New York Post reports.
According to the report, although the word `coloured` was once widely used in the United States to refer to African-Americans but it is now considered antiquated and offensive.
O`Grady apologised for his remark, saying that he deeply regretted using an inappropriate word in a live interview.
The report further said that Woods and Garcia have exchanged barbs over the past two weeks during The Players Championship after the Spaniard implied that Woods purposely stirred up the gallery as he was playing a shot.
However, the report further said, the situation worsened when Garcia jokingly likened Woods to fried chicken during a dinner, similar to Fuzzy Zoeller`s comment about Woods during his record-setting victory in the 1997 Masters, when Woods became the first player of black heritage to win a major.
Certain foods, fried chicken and watermelon in particular, have been used in dehumanizing caricatures of blacks as far back as the beginning America`s segregation era in the 19th century, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!