European golf tour head apologises for using `coloured` term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
The head of the European golf tour has offered an apology for using the word `coloured` during a live television interview in which he was referring to the spat between World No.1 Tiger Woods and Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia.
European Tour CEO George O`Grady had said that `most of Sergio`s friends are coloured athletes in the United States`, the New York Post reports.
According to the report, although the word `coloured` was once widely used in the United States to refer to African-Americans but it is now considered antiquated and offensive.
O`Grady apologised for his remark, saying that he deeply regretted using an inappropriate word in a live interview.
The report further said that Woods and Garcia have exchanged barbs over the past two weeks during The Players Championship after the Spaniard implied that Woods purposely stirred up the gallery as he was playing a shot.
However, the report further said, the situation worsened when Garcia jokingly likened Woods to fried chicken during a dinner, similar to Fuzzy Zoeller`s comment about Woods during his record-setting victory in the 1997 Masters, when Woods became the first player of black heritage to win a major.
Certain foods, fried chicken and watermelon in particular, have been used in dehumanizing caricatures of blacks as far back as the beginning America`s segregation era in the 19th century, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir