Ex-prodigy Panuphol finds form with dazzling 63
Singapore: Former teen sensation Panuphol Pittayarat buried a frustrating run of form with a nine-under-par 63 Thursday to lead The Championship by one stroke and raise hopes of a breakthrough win.
The 21-year-old has missed the cut in his last three Asian Tour starts, but after a weather delay he carded nine birdies against no bogeys at Singapore`s par-72 Laguna National Golf and Country Club.
Panuphol, nicknamed "Coconut", can crack both his first Asian Tour and European Tour win at the co-sanctioned event, which was moved three weeks ago from South Korea after losing its title sponsor.
While still three rounds away, it would be a victory long in the making after he turned pro at the age of just 14 and has returned five top-10 Asian Tour finishes since.
The Thai lay one shot ahead of Scotland`s Scott Jamieson, American David Lipsky, Kim Byung-Jun of South Korea and Singaporean favourite Quincy Quek.
"I gave myself lots of chances to score and I`m very happy with how I played today," said Panuphol, admitting some of his putts were "really unexpected".
"I didn`t see it coming but it did come and I`m feeling good about my game right now."
In a relatively lightweight field contesting a purse of $1.5 million, defending champion Brett Rumford was seven off the pace and 2012 winner Bernd Wiesberger was a stroke further back on 71.
The unsponsored tournament was relocated last month from South Korea`s Jeju island, where it has been held as the Ballantine`s Championship since 2008.
Eighteen players will have to complete their first rounds on Friday after play, held up by an early rain and lightning storm, was suspended because of bad light.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India